Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Playing with words-Thoughts on 2/27 UCI/NYU meeting

I really enjoyed last night's connection with UCI. I was struck by the beauty of the phrases the dancers created on the text. In particular, I enjoyed that the phrases took the words and added a level of abstraction to the presentation of the text. I think experimenting with abstraction in the text itself might be a fun way to explore ulternative methods of its presentation-such that lines of the text do not always have to be read "in time," "in meter or rhythm," "in order," or with any kind of regular intonation or stress. I think that if we are going to present text, it might be interesting to, at least as an experiment, consider that the text is, like a dance phrase or a musical phrase, a structure upon which we can be free to improvise.

Also, I offer that if we are lost, we must also explore the concept of "found," otherwise, what is lost? (pun intended)

And if improvisation is itself a form of play, I offer here, although not improvised, my own brief "play" with some of the words and text from last night:

Alone

a one L

La one

Le ona

nae, Lo

Lo, an e

No ale

O, lane

On ale

On Lea

Between the past and the future, we are lost.

Lost the past between we and the future are.

Past and we are lost between the future.

The past and the future are lost between we.

Bet the past and the future are lost, we are ween(ed).

Alone, between the past and the future, we are lost.

On ale, the past and the future are lost and we are ween[ed].

Lo, an e between the past and the future, lost are w[e].

O, between the past and the lane, we are future.

Nae, we are past; lo, we are between the future.

One la, lost between the past and the future, we are. Let us sing.

4 comments:

YoungJu Kang said...

Hi !

This is Youngju...

I changed my blog address. Try

yjmtech.blogspot.com instead of

youngjukang.blogspot.com

Wendy Carcano said...

Erin, I will use your word play on alone for inspiration to create. I often get inspired by text, and here is a golden opportunity. I also like you idea of improvisation with the words out of order. On this side of the U.S. I will share with my classmates.

Wendy Carcano said...

Erin, the first part of the play on alone inspired a rhythm inprovisation for me. How would you feel about singing or using your voice on the first part as I improvise to that? (For this next meeting?)

E's I2 Blog said...

Hi Wendy!

I would feel great about that! Thanks for your comments. Let's do the improv-sounds cool.

Erin